... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 4 PM Thursday to 4 PM PST
* what... heavy snow expected with strong damaging winds possible.
Plan on difficult travel conditions in near white out conditions
at times. Damage to trees and power lines will be possible as
well. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches with localized
amounts up to 10 inches along the West Shore of Lake Tahoe. 10
to 18 inches are expected above 7000 feet with localized amounts
up to 2 feet.
* Winds... will generally be gusting 35 to 50 mph Thursday
afternoon and evening ahead of the main precipitation period.
* Where... greater Lake Tahoe area.
* When... from 4 PM Thursday to 4 PM PST Friday.
* Additional details... be prepared for significant reductions in
visibility at times.
Avoid travel if possible, you could be stuck in your vehicle for
many hours. If you must travel, prepare for long delays and carry
an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing. If you stay
home, have a backup plan in case of power outages. The latest
Road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Greater Lake Tahoe Area Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Winter Storm Warning
Issued: 2:32 PM PST Jan. 17, 2018 – National Weather Service
Lake Wind Advisory
Issued: 3:16 PM PST Jan. 17, 2018 – National Weather Service
... Lake Wind Advisory now in effect from 10 PM this evening to
4 PM PST Thursday for Lake Tahoe...
The lake Wind Advisory for Lake Tahoe is now in effect from 10 PM
this evening to 4 PM PST Thursday.
* Winds: southwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
* Wave heights: 2 to 4 feet. Highest from mid-lake to northern
and Eastern Shores.
* Small boats, kayaks and paddle boards will be prone to
capsizing and should remain off lake waters until conditions
Check lake conditions before heading out and be prepared for a
sudden increase in winds and wave heights. Consider postponing
boating activities on the lake until a day with less wind.