The Flood Warning continues for
the Kankakee River at Shelby.
* Until Sunday evening.
* At 945 am Wednesday the stage was 9.2 feet.
* Flood stage is 9.0 feet.
* Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast.
* Forecast... the river will continue rising to near 9.4 feet by
Thursday afternoon. The river will fall below flood stage Sunday
* Impact... at 9.0 feet... lowland agricultural flooding begins.
Lat... Lon 4118 8722 4111 8753 4121 8756 4127 8727
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Lake Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Issued: 10:28 AM CDT May. 24, 2017 – National Weather Service
Beach Hazard Statement
Issued: 10:30 AM CDT May. 24, 2017 – National Weather Service
... Beach hazards statement in effect through Thursday evening...
The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a beach
hazards statement... which is in effect through Thursday evening.
* Location... northeast Illinois and Northwest Indiana beaches.
* Forecast wave heights... 4 to 6 ft.
* Strong rip currents and structural currents expected.
Life threatening waves and currents are expected at the beaches.
People visiting the beaches should stay out of the water.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore, which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you into deeper water along the pier structure.
Exposed beaches are more likely to experience the most
significant wave and current impacts. Impacts at beaches with
protective breakwalls or jetties will be subject to the
orientation of structures as well as wind and wave direction.
For information on swim advisories or bans at Chicago beaches